If you are a human, the odds are you like giving–or hoping to give–yourself a little pampering treat now and then. Back in uni days, I was living proof of the ‘work hard, play hard’ manifesto. I could work days and days on my assignments and projects without much sleep, and I made sure I had a hell lot of fun afterward. But days like these are long gone. Like most adults, my waking hours are mostly dedicated to work, work and work… until I finally experienced burnout and realized the importance of taking a break to actually show care for myself.
Here is a ‘treat yo self’ list I’ve knocked together for myself without spending big money. And for your reference, too.
- Make myself a nice cup of coffee and lounge in the “cozy corner” of my house with books I’ve bought months ago but never have a chance to read. On weekend mornings.
- Go on a picnic with sisters or girlfriends. This has been on my to-do list for the longest time ever. I always fancy the idea of sitting on the grass (okay, not on grass technically, but you get the idea) and bonding with my loved ones over some simple home-cooked meals. Wait, KL got picnic spot one meh? Yes!
- Spas and massages, but without the price tag. Fave (previously Groupon) is my fave website to dig out fantastic deals.
- Take a nap and fall asleep to podcasts on a lazy afternoon.
- Learn something new or interesting on Skillshare over the span of 2 months because I signed up a couple of days ago to enjoy 2 free months of Skillshare Premium by using this link, and set a reminder on my phone to remind myself to cancel the subscription before they start charging me for the following month. And yes, I’m that cheapskate sometimes. My saved classes include drawing, organizing the home, productivity, InDesign, content planning and so on.
- Go on dessert dates with my bf. We both have a sweet tooth! Do you know stressed spelled backward is desserts? If you stressed, eat desserts. Desserts don’t cost as much anyway.
- Have a relaxing self-pampering night at home. Put on my favorite music (I still can’t tell the genre of this type of music, anyone tell me please?), light up my vanilla-scented candle, take a bath, followed by skincare and a good night’s sleep. As cliché as it may sound, I think it’s one of the best things I can do to treat myself.
- Plan my trip to Phuket and other small trips or getaway in the near future. It’s in my Type A nature to love planning, making itinerary and checklists. I especially love the anticipation feeling planning a trip can give.
- Movie marathon. Maybe minus the marathon. One or two good movie(s) will do. I love inspiring movies like Eat Pray Love. Any other recommendations that are close?
- Shop pre-loved items on Carousell. It’s like thrifting except I don’t have to visit a physical store. Hunting for treasure and scoring steals give me good feelings, so it’s a legit way to treat myself. Quick question: what’s your favorite Carousell buy so far?
There you go. I hope my list can inspire yours too. Before I sign off, I gotta share this Treat Yo Self video from Parks and Recreations because it’s pleasantly amusing.
If you have any other ideas, please share with me in the comment section. Cheers! 🙂